Call an advisor free: 0808 132 0097 01603 896 867

on a mobile or landline

Enquire online 24/7. Call Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat 9am-1pm

A guide to business rates

Non-domestic rates, more commonly known as business rates, are taxes levied on the occupation of most non-domestic property.

If you use some or all of a building for non-domestic purposes, such as the running of a business, you will likely have to pay business rates.

How business rates are calculated

Business rates are set according to the rateable value of your commercial property. This rateable value is multiplied by a certain figure, depending on where your property is located:

  • In England and Wales, this figure is the ‘business rates multiplier’
  • In Scotland, this figure is the ‘poundage rate’
  • In Northern Ireland, the figure is the sum of the ‘non-domestic regional rate’ and the ‘non-domestic district rate’

Estimating your business rates bill

If you know both the rateable value of your property and either the business rates multiplier or poundage value, you can estimate your business rates bill.

When you need to pay business rates

Business rates are usually payable in 10 monthly instalments throughout the tax year, much like council tax. Your council will send you a bill in advance of the commencement of the tax year, usually in February or March.

What if I’ve started a new business?

If you have started a new business, you should tell your local council, who will send you an adjusted business rates bill reflecting the period of time that you have owned your property.

What if my business premises change?

If you move premises, make changes to your existing premises or the nature of your business changes, the business rates you need to pay could also change. Whom you need to report changes to depends on where you live:

What if I work from home?

You might have to pay business rates if you work from home, but only on the part of your home that you work in; for the rest of your home, ordinary council tax or domestic rates will still be payable.

If a whole room is used exclusively for work, or if you have modified a room (e.g. into an office or workshop), it is more likely that you will need to pay business rates.

To find out if you need to pay rates on your home business, contact:

Business rates relief

Some business owners are eligible for discounts on their business rates, called business rates relief. The types of relief available depend on where you live:


Some properties are exempt from business rates altogether. Once again, what properties are exempt depend on where in the UK you live; for instance, places of worship are exempt in England, Northern Ireland and Wales, but in Scotland, you must apply for a discount instead.

Contact your local council to find out more about business rates exemptions.

This information should not be interpreted as financial advice. Commercial mortgage rates are subject to change. Speak to our advisors for a mortgage illustration.