Buy to let mortgage

Take a look at the mortgage rates table below to see the top 5 buy to let mortgage deals by initial rate. Click through to see the full range of deals available. This will show you the APR, initial rate, fixed term period and the reverting rate for the mortgage.

Rate Product Monthly cost LTV Lender fee APR
1.34% then 5.00% Fixed for 27 months Fixed for 27 months £111 60% £2,178 4.67% Enquire
1.43% then 4.49% Fixed for 25 months Fixed for 25 months £119 60% £2,510 4.31% Enquire
1.44% then 4.99% Fixed for 27 months Fixed for 27 months £120 60% £2,209 4.68% Enquire
1.49% then 5.00% Tracker for 24 months Tracker for 24 months £124 60% £2,178 4.76% Enquire
1.50% then 4.99% Fixed for 27 months Fixed for 27 months £125 60% £1,265 4.62% Enquire

We are a specialist buy to let broker, talk to us for:

  • Full breakdown of Early Repayment Charges, APR and fixed rate periods
  • Unbiased mortgage recommendation: we have no ties to any lenders
  • Get a great deal thanks to our comprehensive lender search
  • Access deals up to 85% loan to value
  • No minimum personal income required (rental, pension, investment and part-time income considered)
  • Less hassle for you: our team will process your case to completion
  • Decision in principle from a lender commonly within two hours

Who we can help *:

  • Experienced and inexperienced landlords
  • Applicants looking for lenders with no upper age limit
  • Limited companies, LLPs and SPVs
  • Self-employed borrowers and contractors
  • First-time buyers who are also first-time landlords
  • Buy to let investors wanting to remortgage

* Subject to other criteria

We can also help with:

  • Products with free valuations and solicitor’s costs
  • Mortgages with no ERCs (early repayment charges)
  • Mortgages for both individuals and limited companies, with up to four-way ownership
  • British nationals living abroad and non-British nationals with three or more years’ residency
  • Second mortgages on buy to let properties
  • Uninhabitable properties and properties going through probate

Buy to let mortgages explained

If you wish to invest in residential property to let to paying tenants, you cannot use an ordinary mortgage. You will need a specialist buy-to-let mortgage product instead. 

Demand for buy-to-let finance has soared since it first took off in 1996. By the end of 2014, around 15% of all outstanding mortgages in the UK were buy-to-let loans. Competition has led to a booming market, with diverse products available to suit all kinds of property investors.

As a specialist mortgage broker, our goal is to find you a great deal on a product tailored to your requirements. Your advisor will undertake a comprehensive search of products from a wide range of lenders.

Buy to let mortgages are based on the rental income

Buy to let mortgages are specialist products that allow you to borrow based on the rental income-generating potential of your property.

So even if you have a low personal income, we can help you. As long as your rental income sufficiently covers your mortgage interest payments, there are lenders who will consider funding your venture.

Lenders use rental income to calculate how much you can borrow. As a lower income limits how much an owner-occupier can borrow, a lower rent limits how much you can borrow against a rental property.

But different lenders use different rental calculations. We understand where your application will have the best chance of acceptance.

The minimum buy to let deposit is 15% of the property value

Buy to let investors must put down larger cash deposits than owner-occupiers. The most any lender will agree to lend is 85%, leaving the borrower to cover the remaining 15%. (This is an 85% loan to value, or LTV, mortgage.)

Compare low-deposit mortgages

Not all lenders allow borrowing up to 85% LTV. Most lend no more than 70–75% of the property value. And if you want to qualify for products with the lowest interest rates, you will need to borrow no more than 60%.

60% LTV mortgages are more suitable for risk-averse investors who prefer a larger equity buffer. Between the lower interest rate and smaller loan size, they also allow investors to keep their repayment costs down. And if your eventual goal is to have an unencumbered property, 40% of equity gives you a good head start.

Read our UK landlords’ guide for 2017 and beyond

Make sure you stay up to date with the latest changes in buy to let so you can continue to invest your money wisely.

Our buy to let guide for 2017 and beyond helps you navigate and understand the changes that affect the buy to let market. Find out about new tax rules and changes to important legislation that impacts how you run your rental property portfolio from day to day.